Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Classic Dean Magic

I got a call from my friend asking if I had seen Dean's picture in the local newspaper yet. I tried to ignore the panic in my stomach generally associated with calls from adults about Dean. She said he was on the front page of the sports section at the Opening Day Ceremony for baseball. He was with a group of kids talking into a microphone or something. Oh yeah...flashback to Opening Day. The Cal Ripken president asks for volunteers who know ALL the words to "Take Me Out to the Ballgame" to come forward and sing it for everyone. A few kids come forward...including Dean who doesn't know a single word to the song, but just wants to go up in front of everyone. Whatever. And with a little Dean magic he lands himself on the front page of the sports section...for doing literally nothing!

3 comments:

just us said...

Ahh. . .you just ratted him out. LOL. It totally looks like he knows what he's doing. Go Deano!

Donna and Carl said...

It does "look like he knows what he is doing". That was my real comment before I read the first comment! "Happy conference weekend!" Love, Donna

Stephanie Saunders said...

Okay, long comment, since I don't know your email. Recipe:
2 1/2 c. warm water
1/2 c. + 2 T. powdered milk
1 1/2 T. yeast
1/4 c. oil
1/2 c. honey

Whisk water and powdered milk together, then add yeast. Pour oil and honey on top of yeast and let sit about a minute.

Mix and add the flour and salt:

5 - 5 1/2 c. flour
2 T. salt.

Add 1 T. lemon juice to mixture- knead for 10 minutes.

As for the other stuff. I changed a few things, and I'm not sure which one actually fixed the problem. I didn't let it rise twice. Right after I kneaded it the first time, I shaped it and put it into the pans. If you rise it too long or in too warm a spot that will give you a big hole. Also, if you your ratio of wheat and white flour has too much white flour, that will give you big bubbles, too. I used 4 cups wheat and the rest white. Last of all, if you use SAF yeast, use a little less than the recipe calls for (I don't use this kind, so I didn't change the yeast amount). Hope that makes sense and helps!