The bakery in the grocery store near me makes really yummy lemon scones, but they are kind of a rip-off at $2.15 each. So I decided to try to make them myself. My first attempt (above) was lemon-craisin scones which were pretty good. But my second attempt (below) was lemon-blueberry scones and they were awesome! They're great to make right now with all the yummy fresh blueberries in season. The recipe I found online said to bake them as two big round circles and then cut them into wedges to serve. But the second time I cut the dough into squares and then diagonals before I cooked them. Also, in the pic below I drizzled the icing so it looked pretty, but in actuality I gobbed it on:) Yummy! My kids ask for "scomes" all the time now:)
Lemon-Blueberry "Scomes"Cut together until like little crumbs:
1/3 cup butter
1 3/4 cup flour
3 T sugar
2 1/2 t. baking powder
1/4 salt
Gently add until dough leaves sides of bowl:
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
2 T finely grated lemon zest
1 egg, beaten
4-6 T half & half ( I also tried milk and it was fine)
Gently knead 5-10 times. Shape as desired. Place on ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 400 degrees for 10 minutes. Cool a little (I can't wait more than 3 minutes!). Frost.
Lemon Glaze
2 T fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 cup powdered sugar
7 comments:
Those look way better than the ones from the store!
Scones are my favorite! Anything with flour and sugar are my favorite. LOL!
okay so with your recipes, especially morning time ones you need to add the prep time and cook time for me so I can have plenty of time to make in the am before school! umm yeah so thats my comment. i wish I had some of these right now though =)
I absolutely love lemon and blueberries together! Those look great!
I just made the scomes yesterday for our saturday breakfast...delicious. I have been craving something like that for soo long...it was so easy too..thanks for the recipe!
They look good, but are they as delicious as donuts is the question? Rick and I are trying out our Spanish. At first I asked out driver if he had any hijos and when he said yes I asked if they were hermanos or hermanas. He was a little confused. Love, Donna
So you busy cooking while we were hurrying between classes. I'll try the scones. We missed you this year, the dorms were fun.
Post a Comment