Tuesday, September 23, 2008

I'm Back!

I am back from a great week of relaxing, eating, and lots of laughing. After two way too short days in the Big Apple I now understand why everybody hearts NY. It is absolutely amazing! I could have stayed there for the whole week instead of going on the cruise, but since I already payed for it, I figured I better get on the boat! Here are some of the NY highlights and I'll blab more about the cruise later.

Most of you know how much I hate Coach purses, so I had to laugh when I saw these shoes! Please, please, please don't let this trend start up in my town!
Being in Rockefeller Center was too cool! I was looking for Matt Lauer or Al Roker, but apparently they don't meander around in public after the Today Show taping ends.
But I found the best panini ever!

We went to the Top of the Rock observation deck for an amazing 360 view above the city. We met Officer Penetti up there and talked with him about 9/11 and he pointed out where the WTC buildings were. Such a nice guy and so much fun to talk to a real New Yoka (good accent, huh?!).
Being at Ground Zero felt surreal. All the images and emotions from 9/11 filled my mind and it took my breath away seeing the hole and imagining what it must have been like. It was surprising that all signs of the disaster were gone (besides the gaping hole). But it was also surprising that there isn't really any progress on the Freedom Tower. I guess it is a political mess.
Since we we're short on time we took a rickshaw ride through Central Park so we could see as much as possible. It was like a movie trivia game. Our driver would point out an area and we would try to figure out what movie was filmed there. It was awesome.
We walked down Broadway and we were so bummed that we couldn't catch a show or at least see Letterman. Next time, for sure!

This is probably a dumb question, but why is it called Times Square? (Ok, I looked it up...it was named after the New York Times which used to have it's offices here a hundred years ago. Who knew?!)

A view of the Empire State Bldg as we cruised down the Hudson out to sea.


That's me with the Brooklyn Bridge behind me. It was a little bit windy on the deck of the ship!
And let's not forget Lady Liberty. Ok, I'm pretty sure this one is a guy, but it cracked me up to see the Statue of Liberty walking around.

Here's the real one! And it was absolutely breath-taking sailing past her. More to come about the cruise and other places we went. New York was my favorite though!

8 comments:

Donna and Carl said...

Welcome back! I thought about you while you were gone and kept waiting for the blog. I wasn't disappointed! What a great trip!
To be continued! Love, Donna

Stephanie Saunders said...

You look like you had a blast! We went there for our honeymoon and had a blast. I'm SO hoping to make it back there sometime.

just us said...

Ok Sorry to say but those shoes are everywhere here. I've even seen them in the Grove. Ewww I know!
Anyways, glad to see you had fun. I'm very jealous you got to go to NY. I SOoooo want to go there. If you ever go back. . .I'm going, fo sho!

Nicole Saunders said...

Man! I am so jealous, NYC is my favorite place on Earth! It makes me sad that I grew up less than 2 hours away from it and now... well, it takes a little longer to get there. Next time can I come? I know, you me and Stephanie can go! And Kelly and Linda! And how bout Paula? Oh, and Christine... -there are way too many of you guys.

Linda said...

Welcome home, do you still have a home standing? It sounds like you had a great time.

Heather said...

New York looks like it was a great time!!

Renae said...

Hello! Where ya been? The shoes are everywhere. Forget about Ny you need a trip to Arden Fair LOL! I am jumping in there with Mel next time ya go too! Can't wait to see the cruise pics. oh and the windy pic I literally laughed out loud!!!! There was almost zip fizz oozing from my nose =)

j,d and little b said...

I was wondering were you went! When there is no blogging being done you know something is up! I agree New York is soooo fun to go and visit! Mt little sister lives there and I am soo bummed I can't leave here to go stay there for a while! I am glad you had fun! Where did you go on your cruise?